Monday, September 26, 2011

Sweet Applesauce

I remember growing up watching my grandma Lola make homemade applesauce. I'm certain if my grandmother were still around she'd have already picked her plump juicy apples in anticipation of making a large bowl of the sweet Autumn treat. 
I also remember right after she cooked and prepared the apples and added the perfect amount of cinnamon and sugar to the naturally sweet fruit she would spoon me a bowl of the delicious warm treat. 
Sometimes she would add a few drops of red coloring and make it pink.
The pink applesauce always seemed to taste better than the plain colored one!

Grandma Lola owned a cafe for many years in small town America. Lola's Cafe.
Although I was too young to remember those restaurant days friends and family stories have been kindly passed down as well as pictures of my dad as a young boy sitting at the counter with his best friend. My grandma and grandpa are in the background.

grandma Lola and Grandpa Homer
my dad and his best friend

Homemade Applesauce
a recipe from the internet
I would increase apples. Doesn't seem that this would make too much.

Ingredients


4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped

3/4 cup water

1/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1.In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...